Monday, March 14, 2011

Running at Wildcat Den

Sunday afternoon, I headed out for an 8 mile run and decided I was going to do some trail running at Wildcat Den because I am insanely bored with running in Wilton. I don't know how I'm going to get through all this training if I can't find some new places to knock out the miles. Anyhow, as I was climbing the first hill, which seemed to be the height of Mt. Everest and about as steep as a wall in a house, I decided I was only going to do one loop (total of 6.2 miles) because I didn't want to overdo it and end up sore for too long.


As it turns out, I feel pretty good today. Some soreness in lower shins and ankles, but nothing that won't go away by the time I run next. I have decided, however, that when running 6.2 miles at Wildcat Den, it could easily be considered running 12.4 miles given the effort you have to put into it! It's insane how difficult it is to run out there!


But it's so wonderful out there too. The hills are insane, but the sounds and the sights and the peace that's out there is amazing and so conducive to running. It's amazing how much you notice when you're running in nature like that. For instance, I saw a cardinal while out there - that's unusual. Haven't seen one of them in a long time. I also noticed the sound of the water rippling over the rocks in the creek. Another thing that I noticed, that seems really out of place in that park, is the massive evergreen grove that's out there. They just seem so out of place in that one big clump when there's nothing but deciduous trees around as far as the eye can see.


The place also makes me think of the Blair Witch Project... especially when the trees are dormant and brown. Once spring hits and the trees turn green again, I won't have that BW feeling anymore. lol


I managed to complete the 6.2 miles in 1:37 and some change. Not a time to be proud of, but I swear my heart was going to pound out of my chest on a few occasions. It's scary how much a medication you've been prescribed to take can affect your heart rate and your ability to run like you could prior to the medication. I've noticed that my breathing is more of out control and my heart rate gets higher. So, today at my appointment I'm going to ask if it's safe to take this medication while training for long distance races and will be sure to mention that during an easy 3 mile run (11:30-12:30 mm) my heart rate measured as high as 187 and my breathing indicated that I was working harder than I've ever worked to go that distance at that pace. I'm probably going to have to wear my heart rate monitor on every run and have my Garmin warn me if it's getting too high.


Anyhow, after 6.2, I did a quick stretching routine for the hips and quads/calfs and then headed home. On the way home, I decided I would snatch up the dog and take him out with me for the last two miles. He did pretty well. He didn't go too fast and actually left some slack in the leash, but he still won't run next to me. And he did well with commands too. He'll get good at this running thing yet.


So, 8 miles in the books (8.2 to get technical). Today is a rest day, which is good because I'm wiped out! This time change has done me in!

No comments:

Post a Comment